Thursday 6 March 2014

Tring Book Club - Waterland by Graham Swift and A Long Walk Home by Judith Tebbutt

Waterland is a hugely ambitious novel. The format of a history teacher addressing his class (this allows him to be slightly theatrical in his delivery) doesn't always come off, sometimes it reads a little slow, but the overall result is something quite awesome. This is not the Graham Swift style from his prizewinning "Last Orders" or his latest "Wish You Here". These are pretty mainstream in comparison. "Waterland" is far more philosophical about the importance of history, and about the nature and effects of revolution and war. Sometimes it gets a little heavy going, but never less than totally absorbing. Yes, there is a big family story at the crux of the novel and this is extremely well told. There are some pretty dramatic events and secrets we expect to be revealed. The book bounces around various timelines as the author gives us, through two families, a history of the fens with topical features of flooding and dredging (the book was written over 25 years ago, so nothing changes). I thought it was brilliant.

I would never have read this book if it was not chosen by my Book Club. I rarely read non fiction, but I found it an interesting, and at times a riveting account of the author's stay in captivity when taken by Somali pirates as a hostage. I just wish the writing had been better, it seemed quite amateurish even though a ghost writer gave some help. It did give a good insight into conditions in Somalia, and the final chapters leading up to her release and homecoming flew by. Howeever there is no explanation of the ransom (described in the media as being close to £800,000) or who paid. There is just one paragraph. "Details about sums of money ..... are bound by confidentiality agreements". That is all we get. Confidentiality with kidnappers? No way. But confidentiality with who put up the money? We can only guess. It certainly wasn't the family and friends that was hinted at early on. Judith did not lose her house or savings (plenty of money for holidays including three and a half weeks in Australia). I have my own theory, but I guess everyone has. I wish I had known this before I started the book.

No comments: