Thursday 27 March 2014

Songs from "True Detective"

As soon as I heard the unmistakable intro to Lucinda Williams' Are You All Right in Episode 4, I wondered if there was a list of songs from the series. That was easy. There is a website (blogs.indiewire.com if you Google "Songs from True Detective") that not only lists the sings, but includes lots of videos.
 
The songs aren't listed at the end of each episode, but I believe that HBO list them on their website which is not available in the UK. Music Supervisor T Bone Burnett has obviously searched far and wide for songs which create a superb atmosphere for the Louisiana locations. They are all very bluesy, with some folk, country and gospel thrown in. They are not all to my taste but enough so that I can make my own compilation.
 
Far From Any Road by The Handsome Family
 
Rocks and Gravel by Bob Dylan
 
Unfriendly Woman by John Lee Hooker (takes me way back to the sixties)
 
Train Song by Vashti Bunyan
 
Does My Ring Burn Your Finger by Buddy and Julie Miller
 
Bring It To Jerome by Bo Diddley (this is exactly where the Rolling Stones started)
 
Are You All Right by Lucinda Williams
 
Casey's Last Ride by Kris Kristopherson
 
Tired Of Waiting For You by The Kinks
 
Waymores Blues by Waylon Jennings (the most unexpectedly brilliant number of all)
 
The Good Book by Emmylou Harris
 
Too Many Tears In My Eyes by Ike and Tina Turner
 
Angel Of The Morning by Juice Newton (why is this not one of my 131 songs? This was a big favourite on Radio 2 in the seventies with a recording by P.P. Arnold)
 
Did She Jump Or Was She Pushed by Richard and Linda Thomson
 
Fourteen tracks will make a very nice CD. I had better get downloading.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: