Wednesday 12 March 2014

The Milton Keynes 10K and Back running down the Canal

There were over 1100 runners for the Milton Keynes 10K on Sunday morning. It was a beautiful sunny morning when we arrived early, we even had time to read the Sunday paper while we waited in the car. Alison and I ran separately as we now tend to do. The first half is all downhill or level, so my Garmin was telling me I was doing too well. It's the second half that is the real tester, lots of gradual uphill stretches and a killer of a hill near the end. Coupled with the fact it became quite warm, I was glad to reach the finish. At just over 56 minutes, I had cut two minutes off last year's time but still over the time I ran Oxford last May. Coming in at position 325, I was more than happy with the result. Alison came in over the hour, but she hates running in sunny warm weather.

I had been avoiding running down the canal towpath for some weeks due to the mud and puddles that cannot be avoided. But after a few days of dry weather, I was back there yesterday, and what an improvement. I didn't even have to wear trail shoes, so it was great to wear road trainers and run on a dry path. Lots of ducks on the canal, it was lovely.

No comments: