Friday 30 October 2009

Swim class number 4

Steve's torture hour. Yes, it was the same instructor from last week, and the same old routine. Last week it was breaststroke, this week crawl. As last week, we started with floats in our outstretched arms, and concentrated on the kick. Hips as high as possible, kick with the feet together just below the surface and ROTATE THOSE HIPS! My first two tries I was going nowhere fast. So my legs were tiring after only a couple of minutes. But after a rest, the next proved more fruitful, and I even had an "excellent" from Steve, so I must have been doing something right.

We then dispensed with floats, kicking off from the wall into a glide and kicking with arms outstretched. Seemed a little better. Onto using one arm outstretched, then the other, then one pull every eight kicks, then six kicks, then alternate arms every four kicks. I know what was going on, Steve was showing the breakdown of the technique before we were allowed to do a proper crawl, by which time 40 minutes had gone by. But by this time my legs were objecting, so technique goes out of the window. Some gentle breaststroke and with ten minutes left we were on to diving. After last weeks pathetic two attempts (my first ever) of a crouch dive, I did get in five this week. The last felt the best so far. I just need to get used entering the water head first before I can concentrate on the push off with the legs. Luckily Steve is away next week.

No comments: