Wednesday 21 October 2009

131 Songs - Number 3

No 3 Travellin' Light - Cliff Richard


This is only on the list for one reason. In October 1959, when I was fourteen, my family came into possession of it's first gramophone. It was very second hand and only played 78's. It may have been Nanan (again) who took my brother John and I to a nearby shop in Braintree to purchase our first two records. Cliff was No 1 in the charts at the time with Travellin' Light, so we chose this and his previous chart topper Living Doll. Both records are notable mainly for his backing group, originally known as The Drifters on the earlier record, they had to change their name for legal reasons to The Shadows for Travellin' Light.

I cannot remember any other 78's we bought, except for Lonnie Donegan's Battle of New Orleans, also from 1959. It wasn't long before I had my own tiny record player, again second hand, that would play 45's and LP's. That was when my record collection really started.

No comments: