Wednesday 21 October 2009

Family History - The 533

I have now traced 533 of my father's ancestors and their families and they are now all on the database of my Family Historian programme. There remain a few tasks for the future, but the list of individuals is complete as far as I can go. They have now been transferred to a folder which can be written to a CD with the following introduction:

Charles Augustus Roberts, the brother of my great Grandfather Vincent Littlewood Roberts, created a family tree in 1937 entitled "Genealogy of the family of Roberts of Sheffield". So the contents of this CD are not only the ancestors of my father, but also updates Charles' family tree with the descendants of Oliver Roberts of Wooldale born around 1496.For this, I am indebted to the book given to me by Sir Samuel Roberts of Cockley Clay called "Some Memorials of the Family of Roberts". This was originally written by his ancestor, Sir Samuel Roberts of Queens Tower in 1862 and distributed to family members including Grandfather Vincent. This was updated by the next two Sir Samuel Roberts and finally (and extensively) by Sir Peter Roberts in 1971. It was Sir Peter who, as he describes in the "Introduction Extended", made a special study of the area of Holmfirth and concludes "At Wooldale in the first half of the XV1 century lived two families; one, that of GEORGE ROBERTS, who died in 1568, and the other of OLIVER ROBERTS, who died in 1588. It is likely that both these families had a common ancestor in one OLIVER ROBERTS who was a farmer, and paid King's Subsidy on land worth £50 in 1524. I consider that it is beyond reasonable doubt that the said GEORGE ROBERTS is the progenitor of the present Roberts family".I also wish to give thanks to Chris Rathbone and Nigel Buchanan who have given me invaluable information.

I still have to create some family trees ( ancestor and descendant diagrams), and add some other material. The CD will then be available for distribution, and sometime I will put it all on a website. The modern equivalents to those described above.

I can then turn to my mother's ancestors, a far different proposition. No previous researches this time. If I get more than fifty ancestors and their families, I shall be doing well.

2 comments:

Jenny Wicks said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
S Stamford said...

Hi,
My maternal grandfather was Douglas Morton Roberts, grandson of Augustus Morton Roberts. He also had (and passed down) a copy of the 1937 family tree you mentioned which was originally created by Charles.
I'm happy to exchange information with you and also would be very interested to know when your CD becomes available.
I'll bookmark your page and check back regularly but as I'm not conversant with Blogger format, I'll wait for guidance from you if you wish to exchange email directly.