Friday 23 October 2009

Swim class number 3

Aaaaahhhhhhhh. Our third instructor in three weeks. It gets even harder. When Steve said it's breaststroke tonight, I thought good, an easy session. I could not have been more wrong. We started off with floats in our extended arms, and so we had to concentrate on the kick, keeping our hips as high as possible. Disposing of the floats, it was then one pull to three kicks working down to one pull and one kick. I thought that was it, but no. There is the glide. Steve wanted us to hold the glide for three or four seconds. I have to say that after a couple of lengths, it was improving my technique.

Then onto crawl. Again it was with floats to start, and just using the legs. I went nowhere. Apparently it's all about turning your hips and kicking like mad. To say this is tiring is an understatement. Maybe I should have done this twenty years ago. A couple of crouch dives at the end (my first ever attempt from a standing position), the first quite good, the second awful. As I write, it is beautiful blue sky outside, perfect for a walk. I just don't think I could get very far.

No comments: