Tuesday 6 January 2015

Tring Book Club - The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood


What an extraordinary book, so unlike Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake trilogy. Parts were reminiscent of the domestic dramas of "Cat's Eye" that I read a long time ago. But that is where the similarities end. This is the story of three middle aged ladies in Toronto who all have the misfortune to have known Zenia, a reincarnation of those horrible witches from fairy tales. The novel slightly lags when we hear about their individual childhoods, but ramps up when we find out how Zenia came into their lives. I could not read these passages in bed as I was so angry that I would never have got to sleep. It all then comes together in the last eighty odd thrilling pages which I read in a rush. This was Atwood at her best, fantastic storytelling combined with writing from the top drawer. Phew!

No comments: