Saturday 3 January 2015

Songs From "Call The Midwife" - The Christmas Special 2014

This post is quite late because we missed the live showing of "Call  The Midwife". So we watched it on BBC iPlayer last night courtesy of my new Sony S5200 DVD and Internet box. So, at last, here are the songs from this episode.

"The Sea of Love" by Marty Wilde.
I had originally thought it would be the original version sung by John Phillip Baptiste (aka Phil Phillips) who wrote the song with George Khoury. But it failed to make the charts here in 1959 when Marty Wilde's cover version reached number 3. I will always associate the song with the movie of the same name starring Al Pacino.

"Santa Bring My Baby Back To Me" by Elvis Presley. A song from 1957.

"I'll Be Home For Christmas" by Johnny Mathis. From his 1958 Album "Merry Christmas".  Originally a Bing Crosby recording in 1947.

"I'll Hang My Heart On A Christmas Tree" by Suzi Miller. I had never heard this before.

P.S.  The incidental music at the beginning of the episode reminded me so much of  the orchestral arrangement to a 1959 record by Adam Faith called "What Do You Want". The arrangement was by my hero John Barry.

P.P.S. I thought I saw somewhere a trailer for the new 2015 series with the backing of a song called "Baby I'm Yours". Maybe by Peter and Gordon? But now I cannot find that trailer anywhere on the web. Maybe I dreamed it?
Hurrah! No, I didn't dream it. It's the version by the Arctic Monkeys. Superb. Listen to it on YouTube.

No comments: