Wednesday 28 January 2015

Memories of the Odeon Hammersmith now the Eventim Apollo


My visit to the Hammersmith Apollo to see First Aid Kit reminded me that the first time I went to this venue was over fifty one years ago. On 18th November 2007 I wrote the following on this blog.

When I left school, I lived in digs in Riverside Gardens in Barnes, just over the bridge from Hammersmith. So my walk to George Wimpey's offices on Hammersmith Grove took me close to the Odeon every day. So I was lucky to be able to see what were the forthcoming attractions. So from 1963 I went to see Tony Bennett, Count Basie, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, Duke Ellington and Woody Herman and the Herd. All fantastic big band performances.
These were followed by a blues concert with Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, and in May 1964 by the best rock and roll show ever with Chuck Berry and Carl Perkins. They were supported by new British groups such as The Nashville Teens (Tobacco Road had not yet entered the charts), The Swinging Blue Jeans and The Animals. Wikipedia confirms they played their version of House of the Rising Sun on their tour with Chuck Berry in May 1964 but did not release a recording until a month later. I can still remember what a great job they did with Alan Price on keyboards.
The most disappointing concert I have ever attended was around this time. Louis Armstrong was a particular favourite, having bought his Hot Five and Hot Seven recordings from 1927 and 1928. So Louis to me was a trumpeter, not a singer. But for the whole concert I wait in vain for a trumpet solo. All the other members of his band played solos, but not Louis. Maybe he was not up to it, but he played with the band, and any short burst on his own would have sufficed.
The last of my 60's memories at the Odeon is the premiere of Thunderball in December 1965. On the day of its release, it was decided to show it at 1 minute past midnight. I must admit that I might have nodded off during the final long underwater sequence, but the music will always wake you up.
The one show I missed was the Beatles. They played 38 shows over 21 nights in late 64/early 65. I had heard that you couldn't hear the music for the screaming and that put me off. But I really should have gone.

Since then I have returned every few years to see Jackson Browne in 1986, Leo Sayer in 1988, Mary Chapin Carpenter in 1995, Ryan Adams in 2007 and Bon Iver (there to see support Kathleen Edwards) in 2011 and now First Aid Kit. So this venue holds many happy memories for me.

4 comments:

Dan Condon said...

I was at Hammersmith and remember complete mayhem, but that could have been the second concert which ended his tour. He was carried off the stage still playing while the safety curtain came down - complete rows of seats collapsing in the stalls. Saw the Beatles in December '65, and you're right the incessant screaming drowned them out almost

David Roberts said...

If you mean Chuck Berry, the concert I went to see was fine. I was in the circle and couldn't see anything untoward.

Saw David Bowie and the Buzz at Sussex University, see my posting 27th February 2010.

Dan Condon said...

Yes. I meant the Chuck Berry concert. He was backed by the Animals. Stalls in complete mayhem ending with an invasion of the stage, a ladder used in an attempt to prop up the descending safety curtain. Don't remember the Nashville Teens but the Searchers reception decidedly hostile.
But, as I say, it could have been the concert closing his tour. Great night even though we missed the last Greenline back to Esher.

Dan Condon said...

Not the Searchers - the Swinging Blue Jeans - memory going!