Wednesday 4 June 2008

Reflections of My Life by Maramalade

When Alison bought "Jackie The Album", ( a 3 CD collection of hits from the seventies) I thought there might be the odd track I might like. But there were a lot more than that. The standout song for me was one I had not heard for some time, but was a staple when I used to listen to Radio 2 before it became Radio 1 and a half.

Reflections of My Life was the one brilliant composition from Dean Ford (born Thomas McAleese) and Junior Campbell (born William Campbell) who were the vocalist and lead guitarist in the Scottish band Marmalade. They had previously sung other people's compositions and it was only when they changed record labels and joined Decca that they were allowed to write their own stuff. And it obviously all poured out in this one great melancholic song. It contains a novel reverse guitar solo from Campbell and great vocals from Ford. Unfortunately they never repeated it's success. But definitely one of my favourite records.

No comments: