Wednesday 4 June 2008

The Eye, Doomsday and Iron Man

I had hoped that when the half term holidyas were over, we might have some decent, intelligent films to see. But these have not materialised and I am down to one film every two or three weeks.

The Eye was a decent enough thriller. A remake of the Japanese original, it suffered slightly from a subdued performance from Jessica Alba in the main role. A few shocks along the way depended on apparitions appearing suddenly. Could have been better.

Doomsday had been panned by the critics, but I did not want to miss a Neil Marshall movie after "Dog Soldiers" and "The Descent". It was much better than I had feared. OK, there were many references to other films, particularly the "Mad Max" chase, but it was all done in fun. Rhona Mitra did well in the lead, but Bob Hoskins, who had been advertised as the main star, had a very small contribution. Familiar faces included Adrian Lester from "Hustle" as Mitra's number two.

I had serious reservations about yet another superhero movie, but Michael had recommended "Iron Man", and the trailer was good. I was glad I went. The superherotype action was thankfully limited and we were left with good characterisations and a decent plot. Robert Downey Jr was terrific. He would get the award for best actor in a superhero movie. Ably supported by baddie Jeff Bridges and wet assistant Gwyneth Paltrow. I might even see the sequel.

No comments: