Tuesday 17 October 2023

Songs from Case Histories

 

We are currently watching repeats of Case Histories originally shown on BBC in 2011/13. I posted about the music from the book by Kate Atkinson on 11th March 2011.  There are seven American country/folk singers whose songs Jackson plays during the story. All female. And guess what? Yes, they are all in my collection. Allison Moorer, Trisha Yearwood, Emmy Lou Harris, Lucinda Williams, Gillian Welch, Lee Ann Womack and at the end, The Dixie Chicks.

Then on Kate's book Big Sky, I posted on 11th March 2020: 

Then we have Jackson's taste for female country singers. In my review of the first Jackson Brodie novel "Case Histories", my posting of 11th March 2011 lists the seven female country/folk artists mentioned in the book, all of who's albums were in my collection (see below). This time Jackson's taste seem to have changed, or Kate is running out of artists. None of these appeal to me: Miranda Lambert, Ashley Monroe, Lori McKenna (all too country), Maren Morris (strange choice). However, The Dixie Chicks (hurrah!) do get another mention and later on so does Patty Griffin. I'm not sure how I came by her first album, but it does not stand repeat hearings. But it was good she name checks both Dire Straits and Mary Chapin Carpenter for Mark Knopfler's "The Bug".

The first TV series of Case Histories does feature many of these songs as Kate Atkinson worked with the producers. However this is not true for Series 2. Just some poor original sound-a-like music. Big disappointment.

No comments: