Monday 23 October 2023

How I Remember Bobby Charlton

 

This was the goal against Mexico in the 1966 World Cup. Matt Dickinson describes it in yesterday's Sunday Times.

Although it is my main memory of Bobby Charlton, it was the only England game I missed seeing live at the 1966 World Cup at Wembley. It was my friend Rowena's twenty first birthday party on that day at her parents' house in Wimbledon. So I only watched it on their television along with her father who worked for Reuters and was a Chelsea season ticket holder.

But I was back Wembley for the final to see him carry the trophy around the stadium.

I was thirteen when Charlton survived the Munich air disaster of 6th February 1958. I remember watching him in the FA Cup Final and thinking how amazing that he had actually played less than a month after being hauled from the wreckage by goalkeeper Harry Greg. 

No comments: