Saturday 10 June 2023

Lost and not lost

I was not the only one who lost plants due to the succession of heavy frosts at the beginning of the year.  At the top and on the left above was the Penstemon Firebird that over many years had been so healthy that pieces were successfully transplanted to the main border. But all have perished. Fortunately the newish  Penstemon Electric Blue on the right survived and today is in flower.

I noted on my post of the 25th April that the Gypsophila Festival Pink was showing signs of revival. But that was short lived and I think it may be dead.


Another casualty was the Lychnis Chalcydonica, seen here below on the left,  that graced the hot bed in three places for many years but sadly is no more.

But not lost is the Hypericum Hidcote. All the tall bushy stems had died but after pruning the new growth improves daily. Apparently they are almost impossible to destroy.


However, according to my post of 1st April 2016 (from which I have taken the photo below) every year it should be pruned to 12 inches above ground. Noted for next year.


See the Lychnis in the background.


No comments: