Monday 30 May 2022

Coombe Hill and Dunsmore Walk

 


For my walk on Sunday, I found the last space in the Wendover car park (free on Sundays) and at 10.50am headed for the climb up to Coombe Hill. In passing the road down to the railway station, I saw a large group of walkers approaching who had obviously just disembarked from the train. So I put on a spurt to take me well ahead for the walk up the hill. As this was the first time I had been on this route for ages, I had good views of the HS2 works in the vale below. 

At the top I had a rest at the monument. The walking group caught up and I had a nice chat with one of the ladies who had come on the train from central London. I headed for the car park that was not as full as I had imagined on a Sunday. As I was going through the gap into the woods, a couple stopped me to ask about whether there was a circular walk. That would be difficult without a map or instructions, so I suggested a there and back the route down to Ellesborough and across to Chequers.

I ploughed on through the woods of  Low Crubs and ended up at the village of Dunsmore. On the way I had seen a poster for Sunday teas at the church, but when I arrived I found they only start at 2.30pm. I tried a different and far nicer route back along the outskirts of the wood. I didn't stop at the monument on the way back down Bacombe Hill and was glad of my walking pole for the steep bits.

Reaching Ellesborough Road, the cottages have now all been vacated for HS2. The photo below shows the route of the new line, now much further away from Wendover than all the indicative routes I spent too long searching. I went left down the right of way to have a good look at the works in progress. If I am right, the green tunnel will mitigate the noise from the outskirts of Wendover. I will take my camera next time I'm there.





 

No comments: