Tuesday 10 May 2022

Tring Book Club - The Book of Lost Names

 

Although I liked the two alternating time zones, 1942 and modern day, there was far too little of the latter. I really wanted to know much more abut Eva's life in the intervening years, but we got hardly anything. Instead we have huge repetitious descriptions of forging documents for people fleeing Nazi occupation. I did like the technical aspects of the forgery, but these soon became tedious. This was a book that was too long and would have been much better for some judicious editing.

Again, we have too much repetitive dialogue between Eva and her overbearing and critical mother, whose constant bickering exerts so much pressure on her daughter. This is obviously Eva's story, and well constructed though it is, we cannot escape some of the romantic episodes. There is some excitement towards the end as the Germans close in. But I preferred the modern day emotional conclusion that made me glad I stuck with the story. Or was it that it was a choice for my book club.

No comments: