Wednesday 21 May 2014

Wrecking Ball and West revisted

Thanks to the series "True Detective", I have rediscovered Emmylou Harris and Lucinda Williams, not that they were ever lost. But I had not listened to them for such a long time and I was amazed that giving their albums a break, how great they sounded listening to them again.

The Emmylou song on "True Detective" was The Good Book, a cover version of a Rainer Ptacek song. But having had Michael tell me about her recent concert playing the whole of her album "Wrecking Ball" with producer Daniel Lanois, this was my first port of call. I had not remembered how many great cover versions there were on the album, my favourites being Steve Earle's Goodbye, Daniel's Blackhawk and Lucinda Williams' Sweet Old World.

Which takes me nicely onto Lucinda. Her featured song on "True Detective" was Are You Alright. So I went straight to her album "West" where it is the opening track, and not the more obvious "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road". Listening again to "West", I wondered what took me so long to play it again. My new favourite track is Learning How to Live. Rob Burger's piano is such a delight, especially in the midway instrumental break. (I now have to see Nebraska to hear him playing some of his compositions). I also wanted to hear Lucinda's original version of Sweet Old World and there it was, the title track of her album of the same name. I found it for £3.12 and it's on it's way. Even better, I found her double CD "Live @ The Fillmore" on eBay. Fortunately I was the only bidder and won it at £4.10, a huge saving on the Amazon price of £17.26.

No comments: