Friday 2 May 2014

National Theatre Live - King Lear

My first experience of a live theatre production at the cinema took me to the Aylesbury Odeon for The National Theatre's acclaimed performance of King Lear. It has always been my favourite Shakespeare play ever since it was my "A" Level book. In my last year at school we went to see RSC's production at the Aldwych Theatre starring Paul Schofield so that is probably why.

I enjoyed the fact that we could hear almost every word, the sound quality was excellent. The use of multiple cameras also worked well, with close ups you never see at a live performance. However I did feel a certain detachment and not the involvement I get from being there. It was like watching a recording so although it was being performed live, it didn't feel like it.

That said, the acting was superb. Simon Russell Beale made a great Lear and the the actresses playing his daughters were also terrific. Who would have known Anna Maxwell Martin could be so nasty. The two actors who stood out were Adrian Scarborough as The Fool (photo below) and the wonderful Stanley Townsend as the Duke of Kent. He kept the whole thing together.
The big surprise was the fact we had a one sheet programme waiting on our seat. A nice touch.

No comments: