Thursday 22 May 2014

The Garden in May

The mild and wet winter has certainly had an impact on the garden. All the shrubs have never been better and the borders seemed to have matured all of a sudden. The Alliums above are always nice to see. My prize Weigela below always flowers well and the roses in the foreground have lots of buds ready to flower.
The climbing Hydrangea is starting to flower and the Euphorbia in the background is still quite healthy.
This is the bed that used to be just a Virburnum gone mad. When I opened it up, I sowed some wild flower seed and they come up every year.

I can hardly get past the Campanula next to the conservatory.
My Lilac is an unusual variety with delicate pink flowers.
I just love Astrantia. The first is a lovely salmon pink and the second a dark purple with a white Tiarella behind.

I wish the lawn could stay as it is. The spring feed after the wet winter has done its job for now.
Clearing the beds of the bulb foliage and preparing the ground for the summer bedding seemed a much more difficult and laborious job this year, or is it just my age? Planting eight dozen bedding plants, twenty flower pots (mainly fuscia) and the three hanging baskets seemed easy in comparison.
Of course the cats are going out a lot more with the better weather.

No comments: