Monday 21 November 2011

Jenna, Lena Marlin and Alison Krauss with Union Station

I have only bought a couple of CD's in the last six months, very unusual for me. Perhaps the following reviews explain why.

After finding her album "Brother" had so many good songs, I finally sent for her first and only other CD "Barefoot and Eager". Not up to the standard of "Brother" and more a mixture of covers with few original songs. But an easy listen and her version of "Wish You Were Here" is quite something.

I actually received Lena Marlin's "Twist The Truth" for Christmas, being her latest CD from 2009. I love her other three albums, so on first listening this was quite a disappointment, and that was probably why I didn't review it previously. However I played it in the car last week and was surprised how I enjoyed it. It actually has one stand out track that matches any of her best work. "Story of a Life" is unmistakeably a Lena composition.

Somehow I missed the release of "Paper Airplane", the latest from Alison Krauss and Union Station, so I only had time to play it a couple of times before their concert that heavily featured these songs. I have to say that, again on first play, this is not their best album. The songs are all OK, but they just seems like rehashes of everything they have done before. The instrumental accompaniment is again first class, but nothing that stands out. In a way, it is nice to have something new from Alison and the band, but it seems like they just went through the motions. It has generally received rave reviews, so I will have to listen a few more times before I can make a final judgement.

No comments: