Friday 4 November 2011

131 Songs Numbers 124,125 and 126

Number 124 - Next Time You Fall In Love by Reva Rice and Greg Ellis

The next three songs are unlike anything that has gone before. They start with one from a musical, Starlight Express. I had thought to include songs from "Tell Me On A Sunday" which I think is the best thing written by Andrew Lloyd Webber, and the lyrics by Don Black are also excellent.  However, if I wanted a really cheesy number, I looked no further than "Starlight Express". My chosen track wasn't even in the original 1984 production. When new songs were added in 1992, Don Black again found the right lyrics to suit Lloyd Webber's syrupy melody. It always makes me smile, so that must be a good thing.

We Sail The Ocean Blue by Gilbert and Sullivan

There was no way I would not have a song from  G&S, there are so many to choose from, and "HMS Pinafore" is my favourite of all their light operas. I almost chose "Now Give Three Cheers", but the song that starts the whole thing off never fails to stir.

Ernie by Benny Hill

I was wondering what my favourite comedy song would be. A Flanders and Swann? The Goon's "Ying Tong Song"? However there is only one real contender for me. "Ernie (The Fastest Milkman in the West)" to give it's full title, is not only performed by Bennie Hill, but he wrote it too. His inspiration came from his time as a milkman in Hampshire. It became the Christmas number one in 1971. Even David Cameron chose it as one of his eight Desert Island Discs. Says it all.

No comments: