Friday 25 November 2011

131 Songs - Numbers 127 and 128

Number 127 - Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me by Elton John

I thought I may run out of songs before I considered one from Elton John. However, listening to some of his early stuff, it reminded me of an LP I had in the seventies. The songs on "Greatest Hits" now seem pretty old hat; except for one. "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" (composed by Elton and Bernie Tapin) still sounds as good today as it did all those years ago. Invariably it was, in those days, through some headphones when there was nothing I wanted to watch on TV. One of those LP's that was played to death, but one track that still lives for me.

Number 128 - The Air That I Breathe by The Hollies

I have no idea how I came to miss this track. Written by the British songwriting duo Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood, it first appeared on the former's 1972 album "It Never Rains In Southern California" ("it pours, man it pours"). But it was the version by The Hollies that gained most success, reaching Number 2 in the UK. An absolutely stunning performance of a great song.

No comments: