Wednesday 31 March 2010

My first car

AYR 462B. The only number plate I can remember from all my previous cars was the first. A red Triumph Herald Convertible, very similar to the photo above, except mine had black seats.

I passed my driving test at the third attempt in 1966. The BSM centre in Chiswick did not seem to provide the same instructor for each lesson. The same year my grandmother died and left £2o0 to each of her grandchildren when they reached 21 years old. I was the only one old enough at the time to receive the inheritance. This helped me to buy my first car.

I had thought about a new Mini or Hillman Imp, but on the forecourt of a nearby garage, I found a two year old Triumph Herald, and with only 6,000 miles on the clock. I was nervous that the clock may have been wound back ( as that was not unusual in those days) but the dealer said they hadn't and suggested that I contact the previous owner and gave me their details. It turned out to have been the wife's car and "she had been no further than London Airport". I guess the unworn tyres and immaculate engine were a giveaway.

So I became the proud owner of a very nearly new, highly desirable convertible. AYR462B.

No comments: