Monday 29 March 2010

131 Songs - Number 29

Number 29 - Hotel California by The Eagles

I didn't buy many LP's in the 1970's, so the ones I did have were played over and over again, mostly using my headphones. Some Elton John, Roxy Music and ELO and that was about it. There were some classic albums I missed out on, but I caught up with them years later, as later songs in this series will testify.

This album reminds me of Peterborough, the parties and bbq's in the back garden. The drive to work was seven minutes, so I was able to get home at lunchtime. My first job as a Senior QS and early promotion to Area QS as one major contract turned quickly into four. Playing squash after work (not very well) and on the ladder at the club.

There are other tracks on the album which I probably prefer: "The Last Resort" and "Wasted Time" come to mind. But "Hotel California" does have that iconic and unsurpassed guitar solo. And were we not fortunate to have LP's. The covers on a CD cannot compare with a 12 inch picture.

No comments: