Tuesday 7 October 2008

What have I done to the lawn?


By the middle of September, the moss in the back lawn was the worst it has ever been. Alan Titchmarsh in his "Complete Book of Gardening " suggests that the solution is a powered lawn rake. Searching the net, I found a Bosch electric lawn rake and scarifier on Amazon, so off went my order. Two days before we went on holiday, I tackled the far back lawn that, in parts, was almost solid moss. I have to say that the rake does remove most of the moss and thatch. The problem, as advised by most of the reviews on Amazon, was the collection. I only had to travel a few yards and I had to stop to either unblock the debris or empty the basket. This was absolutely tedious and back breaking. But the machine did it's job, probably too well. There are now large patches of nothing.

The remainder of the lawn had to wait until we returned from holiday, and this time Alison did the back breaking part. The photo shows some bare patches, although not as bad as the far lawn. I may have to reseed the worst areas. I just hope it is worth it in the spring.



The bedding salvias behind the tubs are still going strong.

No comments: