Sunday 19 October 2008

Walking Tour of Hampstead


Friday was the perfect day to start out on my exploration of Hampstead Village and Parliament Hill. These were high on my list of places to visit when I had retired. The weather was sunny and cool with clear blue skies, just right for my walk. I had plotted a route from "A Hampstead Village Walk" I found at www.london-footprints.co.uk/wkhampvillage.htm and used this as the basis of my tour.
But I wanted to start with Parliament Hill, so I tried the car park on East Heath Road. But as this was full, it meant trying to find somewhere else. I turned down Well Walk and there was meter parking with plenty of spaces. In fact, this turned out to be quite central and I left the car there all day.
I started off towards Hampstead Heath, past the station and up the road named Parliament Hill. At the top, the path in the picture leads up the Heath.


At the top, the skyline of London come suddenly into view. This is the photo showing Canary Wharf, the sight to the City with St Paul's is even better.
I made my way back across the Heath and took the path between Hampstead Ponds.

Back to where I left the car, I started off down Well Walk and , past the Wells Tavern, Burgh House and Campden Baths. At the High Street, a stop for a coffee and cheesecake in Starbucks was a welcome rest. The other side of Hampstead was just as impressive. These are the houses on Church Row.


Most of the streets are very quiet, the hilly squares are very pretty. Holly Walk, Mount Vernon, Holly Hill, Holly Mount, Holly Bush Hill, Admirals Walk and Windmill Hill took me up the Heath once more, before making my way back to Well Walk. It was still early afternoon, so I headed down East Heath Road, and made my way to Keats House. Back up Downshire Hill and Willow Road, it was time to make for the National Trust owned Fenton House which opened at 2pm. This was my last port of call, and well worth the visit.


The views from the second floor are almost as good as those from Parliament Hill. I thought I would enjoy a walking tour of Hampstead, but this surpassed my expectations. I was lucky with the weather, but that is one of the joys of retirement. You can pick the right day.

No comments: