Wednesday 29 October 2008

Brideshead Revisited, Taken and Eagle Eye

Just like when I went to see The Duchess, I was in two minds whether I wanted to see a period drama like Brideshead Revisited. But once again I was glad I did. Yes, the location shots were great, but it was the writing and acting that held the piece together. Emma Thomson had gained all the plaudits from the critics, but I thought the three younger members of the cast were even better, particularly Ben Wishaw as Sebastian Flyte. A man trying desperately to be happy and failing. That makes the movie a better modern version of the TV series.

Taken starts slowly, but you know whats coming. It was all pretty familiar and totally contrived, but you just sit back and enjoy the ride. It is Luc Besson back to basics, and his director Pierre Morel packs a punch. So does Liam Neeson, although he takes a bit of getting used to as the killing machine as much out for revenge as on a rescue mission. Powerful stuff.

Although Eagle Eye had been panned by the critics, I thought the trailer was good enough to give it a go. OK, it was a pretty trashy story and the writing was no better. But as a high tech action movie it worked fine on the big screen. You just have to leave at home that part of your brain designated intelligence.

No comments: