Monday 2 July 2007

We Need to Talk About Kevin

One the most painful books I have ever read, so much so that I couldn't wait to finish it. But it was totally engrossing, excruciating and gripping. The fact that I kept telling myself that no child could be as awful as Kevin was no consolation as the brilliant writing assured me there was.

I had never heard of Lionel Shriver. It was the interesting concept of her seventh novel, and that it had won the 2005 Orange Prize for fiction, that attracted me in the first place. I didn't see the gut wrenching twist at the end coming for a long time, but I never do. Although the surprise did give me a thrill at the time, I thought it did detract from the fulfillment I expected when I finally finished reading.

What I need now is to get back to Terry Wogan and his autobiography "Mustn't Grumble".

No comments: