Monday 9 July 2007

Hampton Court Flower Show




The nice thing about Alison giving me tickets for the flower show for my birthday at Christmas was that it was a treat for the middle of the year. The show gardens were varied, and some were exceptional. Alison particularly liked "The Unwind Garden" as the top photo. It did seem quite serene.

We both were very taken by the "View Across the Water" (the other two photos above) which also won a gold medal. This was the best of the water gardens.

The displays in the marquees were staggering as usual. There were so many plants for sale. I limited my purchases to three Nemesia. Although I did consider a Hosta from an awesome collection. I never used to like Hostas, but I can now see why they are so popular. I need to extend some borders so I can plant a few.

We finished the day with the Daily Mail "Darling Buds of May" Pavilion. And what an amazing display of a 1950's cottage garden, the orchard and the village post office, garage and market garden. Fantastic.

We were lucky with the weather. The rain we were promised for the afternoon duly arrived at 3.45pm, but by that time we were on our way back to the bus stop for the park and ride. The traffic was bad coming home, but the thought of dinner at The Five Bells kept us going. We had only time during the day to share a sandwich sitting on a dwarf wall by the lake. So we were ravenous by the time our meals arrived. They went down very well, especially with my pint of 6X.

No comments: