The BBC has some old concerts on iPlayer, including this one with Jackson Browne. Recorded live on 7th December 1976, so that is nearly fifty years ago! We were both a lot younger then. The performance was at the BBC Television Centre (previously known before and since as the Shepherds Bush Empire). See my post of 23rd March 2010. So I had been on the same stage as Jackson. And seen him live at Hammersmith in 1986 and at the Royal Albert Hall in 1996, 2003 and 2009. (See post of 29th May 2009). But this recorded concert was far better than those others I remembered. Songs such as Fountain of Sorrow from the album Late for the Sky were perfect for this intimate setting.
The Shepherd's Bush Empire opened in 1903 and became the BBC Television Centre in 1953. That was where I was chosen as a contestant for Crackerjack in 1957 when I was just fourteen. See post 17th February 2010. The theatre was again refurbished in 1993 after the BBC left and reverted to its old name. I had been to a couple of concerts there, including Paul Heaton and Jacki Abbott in 2014. See post 28th May 2014.
This is the set list from the Old Grey Whistle Test:
01 talk (Jackson Browne)
02 Something Fine (Jackson Browne)
03 talk (Jackson Browne)
04 For Everyman (Jackson Browne)
05 talk (Jackson Browne)
06 Fountain of Sorrow (Jackson Browne)
07 talk (Jackson Browne)
08 The Only Child (Jackson Browne)
09 talk (Jackson Browne)
10 For a Dancer (Jackson Browne)
11 talk (Jackson Browne)
12 Mohammed's Radio (Warren Zevon & Jackson Browne)
13 talk (Jackson Browne)
14 The Pretender [Edit] (Jackson Browne)
Here is the band:

No comments:
Post a Comment