Wednesday 24 April 2024

60 Songs: BBC Two at 60

 

With BBC Two turning sixty this week, they put together sixty songs from their archives. I recorded the whole four hour show. This meant I could just watch those songs that were of any interest to me. Such as that half way through from Dusty Springfield in January 1973 when she sang You Don't Have To Say You Love Me. The photo is actually from that performance. And what a singer she was. Next came Adele from November 2010 but whose vocal is nowhere near as good as Dusty. 

In no particular order, these were my highlights. The Rolling Stones at Glastonbury in 2013 featuring an extra slim Mick, Simple Minds with Don't You Forget About Me on the Old Grey Whistle Test, a very young Van Morrison with a 1970's Brown Eyed Girl, Chuck Berry's Roll Over Beethoven from a concert in 1972, (reminding me of seeing him live at the Odeon Hammersmith in May 1964), the superb Tina Turner in February 1984 and, would you believe, a young Taylor Swift from 2009's "Children in Need". Now I had never heard one of her songs so this was from fifteen years ago when, singing Love Story,  her country influences showed through. Back then, if I had known, I might have become a Swiftie. On YouTube's EAS Channel.

Then on to a young Billy Joel, Blondie from 1979, my very first song from Radiohead, headlining at 1997's Glastonbury with Street Spirit (Fade Out), U2's Pride (In the Name of Love) from 2011 at Glastonbury, Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline from 1971, Losing My Religion by REM on "Later....with Jools Holland" October 2003,  The Bee Gees from September 1998, David Bowie at Glastonbury in June 2000 singing Heroes (not a patch on his performance at Live Aid) and last of all, of course, Paul McCartney with Get Back on "Later...etc" in 2013.  A shame Jools is no Billy Preston from the much better Savile Row rooftop performance. 

No comments: