Saturday 7 January 2023

The Garden in the New Year

 


After the snow and freezing temperatures in  the middle of  December, the weather turned almost mild on the 19th (14C) and has been wet, windy and frost free since. 

So on Thursday I was about to set out on one of my walks when the rainfall radar showed a band of showers heading our way. So I took the opportunity to tidy the main border before the rain came, pruning, weeding and clearing leaves.

The rain duly arrived at lunchtime but didn't last long. It was so nice to be out in the garden again that I went back out and worked on all the other borders. It was mild enough that my fingers were not too cold. When I finished I took some photos as i never had before at this tie of year. Starting with a primrose and snowdrops.


Some of the bulbs are coming up.




The Iris are sprouting from their rhizomes.  


And the Lilies in the wildflower border.


 The first photo below is from the original Acanthus I planted some years ago and the second is the more healthy plant from a cutting I took a couple of years back.



One of the Astrantias is already coming into leaf.


The shrubs are also showing signs of life. First the Honeysuckle.


And finally catkins on the Corylus Contorta.


Due to the mild spell in early January I pruned the roses as they were starting to come into leaf. Far too early as the last two years I pruned on the 3rd and 16th February. We will see if they survive!




No comments: