Wednesday 25 January 2023

A Walk From Home

 

I waited until the afternoon on Tuesday to start this walk from home, a mostly circular route of over five miles. For the first time I took some photos on my mobile phone so they are not the best. Leaving the house, I walk up Church Lane and then turn left up World's End Lane to reach Weston Turville Reservoir. Normally there would be lots of ducks and swans at this end, but the water had completely frozen over after many nights well below freezing. In the distance are the Chiltern Hills which always makes a great setting.

There is a stony path at the back of the reservoir which leads through some woods before arriving at the canal on the right of the photo above. The field on the left was still covered in frost at 3pm. The canal path takes me all the way to Halton where I turn right and follow the road to the junction with Halton Lane. Here is the start of the playing fields of RAF Halton.


Turning right again, I followed Halton Lane where further down is the football ground on one side and the cricket field on the other, which is in the photo below. Again there is a good view of the hills in the distance.

Halton Lane has a bridge over the canal (the Wendover Arm of the Grand Union Canal) where I stopped to take this picture. 


At the end of Halton Lane I turned right for a short stretch of Wendover Road before turning right again at the top of World's End Lane.

The beech hedge on the far right had started to sprout some leaves but the freezing temperatures of the last ten days has put paid to that. 

So back all the way down World's End Lane, past the reservoir and this time taking the footpath through the Weston Turville allotments.

In the distance I could see the monument at the top of Coombe Hill.

A walk that usually takes me over an hour and a half turned into nearly two hours with stops for photos. Although the temperature had struggled to 3C, the sun in the clear blue sky and not a breath of wind made it a perfect day for a walk. 

No comments: