Monday 31 May 2021

Songs from Call the Midwife - Series 10

 

Episode 1

The first song of the series was I'm Still Waiting by Bob Marley and The Wailers. Written by Bob Marley and Lloyd Winston Tyrell, it was a single release in 1965.

Begin The Beguine by Artie Shaw and his Orchestra. A classic Cole Porter tune written in 1935 and recorded by Artie Shaw in 1938.

I never include songs sung by the cast so no mention of Don't Laugh at Me (Cause I'm a Fool). The original Norman Wisdom recording was big in 1953 when it appeared in the film "Trouble in Store". I'm sure we went to see it at the cinema, I would have been eight so will have to add it to my earliest film going memories. 

Episode 2

Mount Zion by Desmond Dekker and the Four Aces. A single released in 1965 of a Jamaican song.

Rocket Ship by Tommy McCook and The Skatalites, also from 1965. These two are very rare singles.

Dead End Street by The Kinks was a number five hit in 1966. As usual, written by Ray Davies.

Episode 3

No songs in this episode.

Episode 4

Just one song and that was La La La by Gerry and The Pacemakers. Written by Gerry Marsden, it was released in the UK in February 1966. The single did not trouble the charts. The episode was set in July 1966 with clips from the World Cup. But no sign of the song World Cup Willie! And the commentary on the television was not by Kenneth Wolstenholme. I wonder why not? Spoilt it for me.

Episode 5

Getaway by Georgie Flame and The Blue Flames. Written by Georgie, it was at number one in the UK charts for one week in July 1966.

Episode 6

I'll be There by Gerry and The Pacemakers. A 1965 cover of Bobby Darin's record that was briefly in the charts in 1960.

Episode 7

Yet another song from Gerry and The Pacemakers. I make that three out of the four songs in the last four episodes. Not sure why that happened. Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying was originally written for Louise Cordet (who toured with the band) by Gerry Marsden, Freddie Marsden, Les Chadwick and Les Maguire. After Cordet's version failed to chart, the band released it in April 1964. Although it only made number 6 in the UK charts, it became a long standing classic and their biggest hit (number 4) in the USA.

Only seven episodes in a shortened series due to the pandemic. And thus I'm going to excuse them for the huge shortage of songs in the series from Episode 3 onwards. Alison gave up watching the programmes, so I no longer sit with my notebook to write down the songs. The above titles are courtesy of music supervisor Vicki Williams and Tunefind. The details are my own.

No comments: