Wednesday 7 April 2021

Movies at Home: I Got Life, Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa and The Witch part1. Subversion



The title in French is "Aurore" which is the name of the lead character. So not the best translation. "I Got Life" is the song by Nina Simone to which Aurore dances on her own. There were other moments that reminded me of Sebastian Lelio's superior film "Gloria". Director Blandine Lenoir has conjured up the odd heart warming moment, but overall not a big success.

I originally saw this film in 2013 (where does the time go?) when I wrote What a surprise was Alan Partidge: Alpha Papa. This was the funniest film I have seen for ages. When I think back, the writing is not particularly witty, but the context and delivery was superb. Recorded to watch with Alison, I still found it very funny even though she didn't. This time round I thought the screenplay was excellent, there were times that the lines were delivered so fast but still caught every word. No doubt the contribution to the script by Armando  Iannuci certianly helped.


Halfway though "The Witch part1. Subversion" I had to start again. I was a little confused about the characters and some of the plot. I believe I was not the only one. But apart from the last half hour of mainly gratuitous violence ( glad i could skip it on the TV), this was interesting drama wth some fabulous photography. Will we ever get par 2? I think the first Korean movie I saw was "The Host" and this is still the best of all, surpassing even "Parasite" and "Oldboy". 

No comments: