Monday 6 May 2019

Wild Rose, Greta and Red Joan


Wild Rose is not your usual rags to riches movie. I was surprised that Wild Rose doesn't pull any punches being both gritty and uncompromising. It seemed to me that the story of an aspiring Country singer and her Glaswegian family was a throwback to a sixties kitchen sink drama. Notable for fabulous performances from Jessie Buckley and Julie Waters, director Tom Harper and writer Nicole Taylor have made an excellent film. The uplifting song at the end wraps up things quite beautifully.


Greta. What a scary movie! The tension builds slowly, one of those films where we know a lot more than the poor innocent ( Chloe Grace Moretz) as she befriends loner Isabelle Huppert. Or actually the other way around. Neil Jordan's direction is not always coherent, but overall a good twisty thriller.


Despite mainly poor reviews, I enjoyed Red Joan. I think you are tasked with making up your own mind about the motives that eventually persuade Joan to pass secret documents about the making of an atomic bomb to the Russians. I know I have mine. I have to admit that the build up to this decision is pretty wobbly. Her affair with the excruciatingly awful Tom Hughes as a Russian Jew is at best amateurish. Thank goodness Sophie Cookson as Joan is believable and sympathetic.

However, the writing by Lindsay Shapero, from the book by Jennie Rooney, saves the day and Trevor Nunn directs with his usual mastery. The present day scenes are fine, with Judy Dench and Ben Miles a class act. I'm glad I ignored the critics.

No comments: