Thursday 2 May 2019

The Importance Of Being Ernest - Encore Screening


Having seen the first three productions of Oscar Wilde comedies from the Classic Spring Theatre Company shown live in cinemas, (A Woman Of No Importance, Lady Windermere's Fan and An Ideal husband) I missed the fourth. So when an encore screening came to the Aylesbury Odeon last night, I was one of only a dozen or so in the audience. All three plays have been classically staged with traditional sets and costumes, both these look very good in close up on the big screen.


The performance is distinguished by the rapid delivery from the terrific cast. Fortunately the sound is of high quality so we hardly miss a word, not like one of the critics who complained that in the theatre he missed too much. The play still came in at just over two hours, so the pace has to be high. Although I was glad of the occasional pause and we could take a deep breath. The Wilde wit comes thick and fast. I'm still not sure who or what Brumby was.


I didn't recognise most of the excellent cast, but the two women above are a hilarious Pippa Nixon as Gwendolen (who I saw in King John and As You Like It at Stratford) and a clever Sophie Thomson as Lady Bracknell (famous here for her role as Sheila in Detectorists). All the women are not like anyone I have ever met, or maybe there are glimpses now and again........

No comments: