Thursday 23 May 2019

Visiting Victoria


One of the new developments in London I had wanted to visit was Nova Victoria, a £2.2 Billion project on large site outside Victoria Station. However, the huge office and apartment buildings seemed ugly and overpowering, despite the open air mall of restaurants. Here, the most interesting was ahi poke where a long queue waited for high class takeaway food from this tiny Californian  outlet.

Better was Cardinal Place, with more restaurants, cafes and shops. I found a seat by the window of a Costa Coffee for tea and cake.


Here there was a sign to a roof garden to be reached via an escalator. I found a bench in a quiet spot where I enjoyed a pleasant half hour with my book.



My tour around the Nova area took in the newly restored Victoria Palace Theatre and Westminster Cathedral (the mother church of the Catholic Church in England). I didn't have time to go in, and i left the climb to the top of the tower for another day.


Finally I found Victoria Square, a haven from the the noise and bustle of this now very busy hub.


It was then time to make my way to the Almeida Theatre for the matinee performance of "Three Sisters". Highbury and Islington station is only two stops from Euston so would be the best for my journey home. A 15 minute walk to the theatre, passing Union Chapel and Islington Town Hall and Assembly Rooms where I had seen Brandi Carlile. I still had time for a cup of tea at The Almeida cafe before the performance started.

No comments: