Tuesday 26 March 2019

Tring Book Club - The Sealwoman's Gift


I had very mixed feelings about this book. I found the first third hard to get into, it just seemed to be all over the place. I know the author was trying to mix in some back story with the main narrative, but somehow this didn't work for me. I think if I ever read it again, it would make a lot more sense. However, as the book progresses it gets better and better. The last third is especially good.

We could have done with more about Algiers, but what we do get is quite atmospheric. The main character, Asta, is a tormented soul. She is one of the few Icelanders who do not embrace the culture of their new home. The contrast between Iceland and Algiers is well presented, especially in the last part of the book. The lifestyle, food and climate are all so different. There are very good reflections on how slaves accept their captors.

But the story is punctuated by too many Icelandic sagas. I thought they spoilt the book. This was a book club choice so it will be interesting to hear other views. (These were all very positive). 

No comments: