Wednesday 16 May 2018

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Tully and Breaking In


I enjoyed the book.Although just an exchange of letters, it works really well. So the film is different in that the story is told in a conventional way. I didn't agree with some critics who thought there should have been, in flashback, more scenes of the occupation. For me there were enough, particularly that those who were there tell their own story of life during the war. That was where the screenplay was at it's best. There were, however, times when the writing was plain embarrassing. Penelope Wilton and Tom Courtney were predictably excellent, I liked the cinematography even though it was North Devon and not Guernsey and Mike Newell's direction was fine. And if you haven't read the book, the Afterword is worth the price alone. The final paragraph of writer Mary Ann Shaffer's Acknowledgements tells us what an important story this was to tell.


Were there enough clues? I was so disappointed that I had to wait until near the end to cotton on. It very nearly spoilt the whole experience. As one critic puts it " the mixture of wish fulfilment and magic realism comes apart in the final reel". I went in with high hopes. Diablo Cody is such a brilliant writer and her collaboration with director and producer Jason Reitman on Juno, Jennifer's Body and Young Adult has been memorable. And then with Charlize Theron on the latter and the new movie. This time there are moments of class, although I found some ham fisted and heavy handed scenes were not up to scratch. However, Theron was great as Marlo, a mother in the throes of post natal depression and sleep deprivation. Mackenzie Davis was also good as the strange night nanny. Although I found it hard to work out her character. Since I saw the film two weeks ago, I realise it has made quite an impression. My disappointment has been tempered with realising we had to be experiencing exactly what Marlo  was going through. So all is forgiven. Except for the montage of snatches of songs on the road trip. They were so short as to be totally annoying.


In the absence of any decent drama this week, I was recommended this clever thriller. A home invasion movie with one different device. The main protagonist is outside the house, trying to get in. The action is kept low key, the violence is not graphic. The writing is, at times, pretty awful but there are enough twists to keep the plot going, and the film is quite short. Better than expected.

No comments: