Saturday 12 May 2018

A Streetcar Named Desire at the Oxford Playhouse


I knew nothing about this play, apart from it being written by Tennessee Williams. It seemed to me to be both dated and modern. The tension is palpable as Blanche Dubois ( I remember that name from somewhere) enters the claustrophobic atmosphere of her sister's tiny apartment. I was not expecting the simmering undercurrent of abuse that resonates with recent events. Though I guess this is something that has always been there through history.

The deep south accents of the cast sounded authentic, the only trouble being that when spoken fast, I didn't catch too many words. But in the slower passages, the diction was fine and sometimes terrifying. Kelly Gough was terrific as Blanche. I was reminded later of her superb role as a pregnant mother in Call The Midwife. Patrick Knowles was suitably dangerous as Stanley. Director Chelsea Walker has done a fine job in bringing together her youthful cast, the movement around the stage was also impressive.

The night I went, the first half came to an abrupt halt when we were informed a member of the cast was injured. A reliable informant told me that the man slicing the melon had managed to slice himself. It must have meant a visit to A&E for stitches as something less dramatic would have meant first aid would suffice. But it did not spoil a great performance of a classic play.


No comments: