Tuesday 29 November 2016

Tring Book Club - Missing, Presumed by Susie Steiner


I very rarely read crime novels, but this was a Book Club choice. On the plus side, there was very little I could object to, it was more about the lives of the detectives and their investigations rather than the building up of the nerve tangling tension that I hate, prior to something nasty happening.

Each chapter is headed with one of the character's names and I liked that. Those about Helena, the missing Edith's friend, were the best. Just a shame there were not enough.

So far, so Kate Atkinson. Unfortunately, the writing comes nowhere close. There was something that grated, I'm not sure what. There is only a rare witticism. Jonti, the furniture maker, "planed down her sharper edges". We could have done with a lot more.

No comments: