Tuesday 15 November 2016

Doctor Strange, The Light Between Oceans and The Accountant


It was only that Doctor Strange starred Benedict Cumberbatch (and some good reviews) that made me ditch my resolve to avoid superhero movies. Whilst he does OK, and his scenes with Tilda Swinton aren't bad, it was still a case of I wish I had stuck to my principles.


I truly believed that The Light Between Oceans would be my kind of movie, and whilst there was much to admire, it just seemed that there was a big opportunity lost. And I can only think it was down to a strange performance from Alicia Vikander. She became one of my favourite actresses after Testament of Youth, Ex-Machina, The Danish Girl and even Jason Bourne. But here she seemed to be treading water. Whether that was the script or the direction (both left something to be desired by Derek Cianfrance), but it was only Michael Fassbender who almost saved the day.


I enjoyed The Accountant far more than the previous two movies despite the holes in the plot. But this is not a film where you have to think too deeply. Ben Affleck is perfect for the role as an autistic child grown up to match his proficiency in his chosen profession with a startling abilty with his fists and guns. And he uses them all to great effect. His scenes with Anna Kendrick are sensitive and the action sequences are adequate. An original script by Bill Dubuque is pretty good and direction by  Gavin O'Connor is up to the mark. An enjoyable couple of hours.

No comments: