Tuesday 10 February 2015

My Life In Books - The Early Years


I have taken the title from the BBC series called "My Life In Books" where various celebrities choose their favourites from childhood to present day. I'm starting with a few that I can remember enjoying all those years ago. Some have remained classics to this day.

Mum and Dad used to read to us a lot as children, and when we were old enough to read ourselves, we were encouraged to have books that were well written. So Enid Blyton stories were never allowed. Of all the books I read as a child, Wind In The Willows is definitely I would choose as my favourite.


I guess my mother thought Arthur Ransome was a good writer, but I found Swallows and Amazons and many of his other books a little dry.


Much more entertaining was Just William by Richmal Crompton. I'm sure I didn't read all thirty nine in the series.


One of the best things about Christmas Day, when I was a boy, was getting an Eagle Annual as a present. I can remember disappearing behind the sofa to read the latest adventures of the characters from the comic that came every week.


I must have read most of the Biggles books by Capt. W E Johns. 


The only prize I ever won at school was The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff. I can't remember what I won it for. I would have preferred a Biggles.


No comments: