Tuesday 19 February 2013

The first anniversary of my first run - Wycombe Rye Park Run

It was kind of appropriate that on the year to the day I did my first run with Alison, I ran the Wycombe Rye Park Run for the first time. The Rye was where I did some running some 28 years ago. But it did not last. I seemed to be able to do a mile or so and then hit a brick wall, and I was never able to go any further. This was probably because I was running too fast, and did not have the lung capacity I now have from swimming. Also I guess I did not have the right kit. If I'd had a trainer as I do now, things may have been different.

So it was quite poignant that here I was, back at The Rye on a Saturday morning, running 5K with 70 other people. So a smallish field, on a cold but sunny morning. For the first time I went off too fast. I thought Alison was up ahead, but I had left her trailing. I suffered for that and was glad when Alison overtook me at the 1K mark and  I could follow her for the next 2K. It was then I felt much stronger and dashed off to finish marginally outside my record time at MK.

What was it like going back to where I used to run? Strange in a way, but it only felt familiar from knowing the park, not having run around it. But I enjoyed the morning, especially coffee and cake at John Lewis afterwards.

No comments: