Friday 15 February 2013

Brandi Carlile at Islington Assembly Hall


When Brandi Carlile's concert on 26th April 2010 was cancelled because her travel arrangements were effected by the ash cloud, and then the rearranged date for 21st October was also cancelled, I had to wait nearly three years for her to appear in the UK. Was it worth it? Definitely. And we had songs from her terrific new album Bear Creek to listen to.

Last week my heart sank when I heard it was an acoustic only performance. But I needn't have worried. Brandi and the twins (Tim and Phil Lanseroth) are staggeringly good musicians, and Brandi's fabulous voice was better for the absence of percussion and electrification.


Islington Assembly Hall was sold out for two nights . I went on Wednesday, the second night. I joined the 500 standing on the main floor, while another 200 had unreserved seating in the balcony. This intimate, and beautifully restored venue, meant we were all pretty close, to the stage and each other. Few we may have been, but the atmosphere was brilliant.

The event got off to a great start with Holly and The Wolf in support. Brandi came on at 9pm and belted out the opening track Hard Way Home from the new album. We were then treated to excerpts from all of her four albums, including many favourites. Although I cannot remember her singing Before It Breaks, that would have been my particular choice. Listening to three guitars accompanying Brandi's voice was perfect. However I did miss Brandi's piano on some of those slow numbers.


There were also a couple of covers. You've Got A Friend (with Holly) and Joleen had the audience singing along, and Nothing Compares To You was saved till last. We were also asked for requests and duly got Turpentine amongst others. A highlight was when Brandi and the twins sang What Can I Say" without microphones. I thought we might not hear my current favourite song That Wasn't Me from the new album, but Brandi saved it until the end. So I went home very happy. A truly fabulous evening, and the best value concert ever at £15.

There are excerpts from the concert on YouTube if you google "Brandi Carlile Islington". Nine songs from Wednesday and fourteen from the previous night. Together they make almost the whole playlist. Great to relive the experience.


One thing to note, I was a little mystified when Brandi mentioned her wedding to partner Catherine Shepherd being instrumental in her arrival in the UK a month ago (I had wondered why she came so early), when she actually married her in Boston in September last year. As it turns out, this was the third ceremony as Catherine was brought up over here, and this was obviously for her family and friend's benefit. No wonder Brandi was the happiest singer I have ever seen on stage.

No comments: