Monday 5 December 2011

Askew or Ascough

Or Ayscough, Ainscough or Ainscow etc. All a derivation of the locational name of Aiskew in the North Riding of Yorkshire. My mother's maiden name is Askew. But when I came to searching the census records for her great grandfather, I could not find a single entry. I knew mum's grandfather George Askew was born in Toynton St Peter in the wilds of Lincolnshire in 1852, and that his parents were James and Lucy Askew. But there was no sign of them on any census record.

I took a chance and e-mailed the Lincolnshire Family History Society to see if they could recommend a researcher that would look at some parish records. I was amazed to receive a lengthy reply from Ruth with lots of suggestions. The main one was "I don't think there is a surname in the county which will come with more spelling variations". Ruth had actually found James and Lucy Ascough on the 1851 Census. When I found the same entry, they already had five children. They were also there on the 1861 census, this time with two more children, one of whom was George Ascough.

Toynton St Peter is a tiny village, about 15 miles west of Skegness. James Askew (my great great grandfather) was also born there in 1808. On his son George's birth certificate (which states the surname as Askew) he is recorded as an agricultural labourer, not surprising really. All his older sons had the same occupation. Two were born in Thorpe St Peter, half way to where James' wife Lucy was born in nearby Wainfleet St Mary in 1816.

It was George who made the move to work in the coalfields of Rotherham. But he is 28 years old before I found him on the 1881 census married to Jane and with two very young children. So I guess he moved there just after he was 20. There is no record on the 1871 census of him or any of his parents or siblings. One or both of George's parents may have died. Or the spelling of the surname has defeated me once again.

1 comment:

chuffa said...

Thanks for that David. No wonder I was having trouble with my search on the Askew's. Your researching of the records have been more thorough than mine.