Friday 16 December 2011

Alan Clark Diaries, The Looking Glass War and The Silent Land

I wanted to read a political autobiography for a change, and last year I settled on the well received "Alan Clark Diaries". These are not memoirs. They are exactly as recorded in his diaries from 1983 to 1991. I think that is why I only read them in chunks. Every couple of months I would read another year's worth. They start with the Conservatives sweeping election victory of June 1983. Clark had been an MP since 1974 and was rewarded that month with his first ministerial post in Margaret Thatcher's government. Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Department of Employment was not what Clark had in mind, and his first forays as a very junior minister are pretty funny. In February 1986 he is made Minister for Trade, not in the cabinet but almost. He throws himself into his new elevated role and, being such a extrovert, copes well with all the travelling and conferences abroad, and continues in this position when the conservatives are re-elected in 1987.

In July 1989, he almost achieves his main ambition (the army was a lifetime passion) and is appointed Minister of State at Defence. But not as Secretary of State as the following conversation with the Prime Minister describes:
"Alan, I want you to go to Defence........ As Minister of State".
"Who is going to be Secretary of State?"
"Well, don't tell anyone, because it hasn't been released yet, but Tom (King) is coming back from Ireland to do it."
"I'm sorry Prime Minister, but I can't work with Tom. I went through all that when I was at DE, I can't do it again. He's too ghastly."
"I know what you mean, but he is much better now."
"I just can't do it, I'm afraid."
"Alan, you've always wanted to go to Defence. I've stood out to get you this job (uh?). You can't let me down by refusing."
"Oh, all right Prime Minister, thank you very much."
"Right then, that's settled." Oh dear! What a feeble resistance.

The year of 1990 takes up a huge chunk of the book, particularly the downfall of Margaret Thatcher. The book ends in early 1991 (he keeps his position at Defence) as Clark is inducted into the Privy Council. The book itself gives a highly entertaining insight into the workings of government. It is probably the next best thing to shadowing a minister of state, particularly in his dealings with the civil service. The writer is often outspoken, rude and lecherous. But at the same time witty, friendly and clever. Glad I persevered.

John Le Carre's "The Looking Glass War" is the last but one on his early novels that I missed first time round. It follows his acclaimed "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold", and for me is a superior story. "The Department" (which we take to mean the military intelligence department of the Ministry of Defence) is in decline. "The Circus" (that we take to mean MI6, the intelligence department of the Foreign Office) is in the ascendancy. The head of  the Department wants one more big operation to underline it's credibility. But it is now in no shape to be effective and the mission is doomed from the start. The novel is very effective at describing the protagonists as they try to resurrect their wartime expertise, all to no avail. One of Le Carre's best.

"The Silent Land" is a shortish novel set in a ski resort in the French Pyrenees. It only has two characters. Zoe and Jake are caught in an avalanche one early morning. They struggle back to the village, only to find it completely deserted. What happens next is a supernatural story of a couple trying to make sense of their isolation. Well written by Graham Joyce, this is an undemanding, yet gripping story of a relationship tested by an unusual experience.

No comments: