Thursday 1 December 2011

131 Songs - Numbers 129,130 and 131

In the end, there were three more Mark Knopler songs I wanted to include. "Romeo and Juliet" by Dire Straits (Number 36) was never going to be enough.

Number 129 - Telegraph Road by Dire Straits

In all the three Mark Knopfler concerts I saw at The Royal Albert Hall in 2005, 2008 and 2010, this was the stand out song. The band play it note perfect to the recording including the long instrumental sections. Outstanding.

Number 130 - 5.15 am by Mark Knopfler

I wanted to pick one track from his six solo albums. I went for "5:15 am" from the "Shargri-La" album. I had already picked The Last Laugh as number 51. 

Number 131 - Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits

This song never fails to effect me no matter how many times I hear it played. It was always going to be my final choice. And it will always remind me of the Dire Straits concert at Woburn in June 1992. You could say I was a fan.

My 131 Songs started with Lonnie Donegan and fittingly finish with an artist who recorded "Donegan's Gone". My musical tastes have changed over the years, but my liking for a folk/country/rock mix is still going strong. Thanks to Lonnie.

No comments: